Friday, October 24, 2008

Holidays are Coming - Gift Giving Needs Planning

It just amazes me with the figures of what people spend on Halloween for costumes, candy, decorations. In an economy that has many people so desperate to meet their bills it just seems that such spending is a waste. I guess that goes along with my dislike for the holiday in general.

Looking toward Christmas - the time of giving. I have heard much talk from families about how they are downscaling their spending and making this holiday more of a family activity focus on giving to others, doing things in the community for those less fortunate. I think this is great! Why haven't we been doing that for years? That is the spirit of the holiday.

I say this but at the same time I have an eBay store and am trying to sell! I do think some spending will still go on but it might be simpler items, creative items, useful items. Check out my eBay store at Comfy Cottage Conservation I have craft kits for the kids, art supply boxes, an easel with storage, marble runs and pinball marble runs for the kids. The ecology side has bat houses - looking toward mosquito control next year. Also, I'm carrying the Worm Factory a very clean way to let red wigglers do your composting for you in a self contained unit that can sit right in your kitchen or utility room with no odor. Back to the basics I'm soon to list some rag rugs - sometimes called Swedish woven rugs. Those rugs that last for ever and have used previously used fabric for the materials.

Looking ahead - I'll be looking at giving ideas that don't cost but are from the heart.

1 comment: