Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Can't Control Time - Better Document.

The last two weeks have been pretty much wiped from my planner - one case of bronchitis and I was out! Well - there might have been some other radiation treatments mixed in to add variety. I can't believe it has been over 2 weeks since I had visited the blog.

Many years ago I was introduced to the "Franklin Covey" system by a very well organized Real Estate Broker. That has meant a world to me in the years since. Even though I am not in a day to day job schedule, I have things to do, to get done on a schedule and that are important. The Franklin system gets you organized with important information at your fingertips (sure you have to update once in a while) and has it together for you.

Part of this is keeping a record of what you have done on that day - not just what you plan to do. You keep notes of what happened in a meeting, how you will follow through on the project or conversation and the next step. This can, as in my case lately, translate into medical information and doctor instructions. If I had used my Planner more completely two weeks ago I would have had a better understanding of some medicine I am on that I really hadn't paid much attention too at instruction - found out yesterday.

The powerful point is record keeping - I came to the point I needed to apply to SS Disability this past spring. My off work time was in and although I kept hoping the cancer was gone it isn't and I'm still fighting. When I applied I was told it would be up to 5 months until I received an answer. To fill out the papers I had gone through my past planner pages for 2 1/2 years to document my appointments, tests, time at work, trips to doctors and all. I was approved for disability within 3 weeks and money in the bank. Record keeping - it's worth it.


Save 15% on New Day Planner Packages

No comments: